• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kegging Question - CO2 Bottle in Fridge?

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Can I put my CO2 bottle in the fridge with my cornies? Don't have the guts to drill holes in the side of the fridge yet - it's still brand-new - but just started kegging today and would like to be able to carbonate the brew in the fridge without drilling holes in the darn thing! At least for now.

Can I do this? Any ill effects to storing a CO2 bottle in the fridge at 40F or so?

PS: Your gauge pressure will fall a little bit.  Nothing to worry about.  It won't decrease your CO2 usage any.  Just be aware it will happen.

Thanks, Tom.

Does this "fall" apply to what I will see on all gauges or just the one that correlates to the pressure in the bottle? How about the regulated gauge to the cornie (I use a two-gauge regulator)?

Will that one drop also, and if so; is there a correction factor I should be aware of to know I am putting, say, exactly (or close enough to) 12 psi to my keg over the course of a one week carbonation period?

philm63 said:
Thanks, Tom.

Does this "fall" apply to what I will see on all gauges or just the one that correlates to the pressure in the bottle? How about the regulated gauge to the cornie (I use a two-gauge regulator)?

Will that one drop also, and if so; is there a correction factor I should be aware of to know I am putting, say, exactly (or close enough to) 12 psi to my keg over the course of a one week carbonation period?

I'm pretty sure  it would be just the pressure in the bottle - which varies according to temp.  You will find that drops quite a bit.

The pressure after the regulator is a reduction from whatever the bottle pressure might be,  established by the spring pressure on the regulator diaphragm - which you regulate via the regulator control knob.

In any case, you will in all probability be setting the regulator once everything has cooled down anyway!

Incidentally, I dont know what other folks do, but after my beer has carbonated for a week or so,  my practice is that  after I have finished using the kegerator for a while, I back off the regulator knob and close the bottle valve.

It takes me less than a minute to open the bottle valve and set the regulator again when I want to draw another pint or three.

I adopted this routine  after twice having gas leaks in my system,  and losing a full bottle of CO2 !!

I think I have everything tight now, but why take a chance at $23 a fill - that's what I have to pay locally for a 5# bottle anyway.

All the best  .........  Brian. 

Wingeezer: You've obviously done this once or twice - I appreciate the feedback.

Yes; I did go back in and tweak the regulator after all had chilled down to my set-point of 39F.  And speaking to your experience; I also thoroughly tested my system as soon as I got CO2 in my bottle to be sure there were no leaks - there were a few but I took care of those before racking a brew to my first keg - let the fun begin...

Wingeezer said:
Incidentally, I dont know what other folks do, but after my beer has carbonated for a week or so,  my practice is that  after I have finished using the kegerator for a while, I back off the regulator knob and close the bottle valve.

It takes me less than a minute to open the bottle valve and set the regulator again when I want to draw another pint or three.

I adopted this routine  after twice having gas leaks in my system,  and losing a full bottle of CO2 !!

I think I have everything tight now, but why take a chance at $23 a fill - that's what I have to pay locally for a 5# bottle anyway.

All the best  .........  Brian. 

$23 a fill! YIKES, I pay about $1 per pound.  My 20# is usually <$20 because it still has a little in it when I get it filled.  I go to a liquor store, not the gas companies that do helium aceteline (SP?), etc...

I leave the tank open, but now that you mention it, I might start closing it after I start a new keg to make sure there are no leaks.  I have lost 2 full tanks that way.  Sounds like a good habit: New kep, shut it all off for a day or two, then re-check for leaks before trusting it and leaving it on.

Anyway, my CO2 tank is in the kegerator (small chest freezer) all the time.  4 taps. Hmmmmmm...... almost done with this beer, may need to go get another.

Hey Beer_Tigger,

Do you have full kegs in waiting when your kegerator is full and if so, where do you store them? At room temp carbed? In a reserve fridge at 40F carbed, in a reserve fridge at serving temp? Uncarbed...?

Sadly, no.  I only have 4 kegs total so I must wait until I drink one dry before I brew again.

Although, as it turns out, I tend to drink a little of each and over time all are empty within weeks of each other.  Then I brew four in a row using the same yeast.  I just made 4 Scottish/Scoth ales from 5.9% (Scottich Ale) to 10.2% (Scotch Ale).  I dump the new, heavier beer on to the yeast in the primary after racking to the secondary of the previous beer.  Keep moving up until I have 4 kegs full (plus I harvest the yeast if the first came from a new source).

Now I have a 5.9%, an 8.5%, a 9.9%, and a 10.25 beer to drink up - HELP! Before I can start my lagers for Thanksgiving & Xmas!

I hate bottleing, but I think I will have to bottle the Blueberry Lager & the Juleøl (Norwegian Christmas Beer).

Wow, these are killing me!  No food and 9.95 beer... see how I ramble! LOL!  Back to your question.

I want to have a few more kegs to store ahead some brews.  I do have an additional fridge that I set on the warmest possible temp and remove all the shelves.  I use this for lagering and storage, which I would store up to 3 more kegs, if I had them.  Anyone know where I can pick up 3 more kegs for about $10 a piece?

Juleøl (Norwegian Christmas Beer)? Never heard of that - what is it like? I'm looking for a nice Christmas beer recipe and am entertaining all ideas at this point.

Beer_Tigger said:
Sadly, no.  I only have 4 kegs total so I must wait until I drink one dry before I brew again.

Although, as it turns out, I tend to drink a little of each and over time all are empty within weeks of each other.  Then I brew four in a row using the same yeast.  I just made 4 Scottish/Scoth ales from 5.9% (Scottich Ale) to 10.2% (Scotch Ale).  I dump the new, heavier beer on to the yeast in the primary after racking to the secondary of the previous beer.  Keep moving up until I have 4 kegs full (plus I harvest the yeast if the first came from a new source).

I've been thinking about keg management lately. I too like to try tasting multiple kegs, but they do seem to all empty at once. That is a pretty good idea with doing them all at once and just reusing some yeast. More kegs is an obvious solution. Do you really get them for $10?

One problem I have atm is medicore beers. They tend to sit and hog keg real estate while not receiving many pulls.

I got my original kegs cheap from a bar that inherited a bunch and had no use for them.  Hoping I fall into a deal like that again sometime.

Back