• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding SG of non-fermentable sugars in BeerSmith (Sugar alcohol, etc)

merc1

Apprentice
Reaction score
Greetings all -- I am stuck trying to add my cider recipe to BeerSmith and am hoping someone can give me a hand.  I plan to ferment my cider dry (~.988) and then back sweeten to ~1.006 with a non-fermentable sugar, specifically xylitol.  Is there any way to go about adding the SG of a non-fermentable sugar to BeerSmith at this time?  If not, can someone clue me in on how to calculate this manually?  From what I understand the SG for xylitol is nearly the same as table sugar, but of course the table sugar will ferment out and the xylitol will not.

I don't think Beersmith can do it.

If the density of xylitol is the same as sugar, then you can use the points method. Figure out how many points you want to add back: 0.998 to 1.006... 8 pts. Multiply by total gallons. 5?  That's 40 pts to add. Sugar gives you 46 points per pound.  40/46 = 14 ounces.

Tom -- thank you very much for this formula, it is exactly what I was looking for.

Happy brewing!

Back