• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Save intervals

grathan

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
When you make a lof of changes in Beersmith it doesn't actually make any saves until the program or perhaps the tab is closed. This can lead to lost information that you thought was changed. Especially if the computer ends up shutting down. I suggest whenever a change is made a save is done or perhaps setting a default timer interval for saves.

No thank you.  I goof around with things a lot to see how they affect stuff.  When I am done I CANCEL, if I don't want the changes, or SAVE if I do.

If you play a lot of computer games, or if you are a software engineer, you learn to "Save often" if you want things remembered.

I would settle for a notification if you shutdown windows that there is unsaved information or perhaps an asterik on any open tab with unsaved data. Currrently there is nothing. It sucks to spend an hour making changes to inventory only to find out weeks later when you go to use an ingredient that it really isn't there.

Beer_Tigger said:
No thank you.  I goof around with things a lot to see how they affect stuff.  When I am done I CANCEL, if I don't want the changes, or SAVE if I do.

If you play a lot of computer games, or if you are a sofgtware engineer, you learn to "Save often" if you want things remembered.
I agree with Beer_Tigger’s every word.  Every single time, in every single application, that you’ve put more than about 20min of effort in, you should intuitively be saving.  I’ve lost an entire days worth of information and almost puked – because it was creative and I could never recreate it exactly no matter how many days I took.

However – there IS a save function in BeerSmith.  I just don’t know exactly what it saves or where it saves it.  If you go to the dreaded [Advanced Options] tab via [Tools], [Options] you’ll see that the default value is 8 min.

20 minutes?  YIKES!  How about 30 seconds?  granted I'm that software engineer Tigger refers to.  The first thing I learn, in every application I use, is the keyboard shortcut for "save".  I reflexively save (Ctrl-S usually) whenever my hands aren't typing something, and every minute or so...even when I am typing. 

Even on this forum, I type ctrl-A, ctrl-C, right arrow, as I type.  This copies the form entry to the clipboard, and if IE crashes or something I can paste what I've typed into notepad and get it back.  How many glorious forum posts have been lost to some stupid browser error? 

I hate autosave because of the indefinate pauses that occur WHILE I'M FRIGGIN working....I don't want to wait 30 seconds for the autosave to finish while I've got a thought to get out. 

tom_hampton said:
Even on this forum, I type ctrl-A, ctrl-C, right arrow, as I type.  This copies the form entry to the clipboard, and if IE crashes or something I can paste what I've typed into notepad and get it back.  How many glorious forum posts have been lost to some stupid browser error? 
LOL! Because I always have such cool things to say!  I'll have to remember that trick!

Ahh I wonder if the autosave has been the source of my problems.

How does one turn autosave off? Would simply putting "0" in the minutes interval do the trick?

Back