• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing Salts and Water Profile/Volume Question

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I started creating "adjusted" water profiles for certain styles, adding salts and such, and saving the new profiles for future recipes. One such profile, "Pumpkin Ale Water" was created using the total amount of water needed during my brewing session as calculated in my equipment profile - mini-mash, sparge, and top-up to boil volume which comes in at 7 gallons or my system.

When I plug this custom water profile into a recipe, I get a pop-up that reminds me there are salt adjustments and asks if I'd like to add those salts to the ingredient list. Sure, why not - gives me a printout of the amounts. So when I did, it pinned the salt adjustments to my batch size and not the calculated total water needed for the brew based on my set-up.

I wound up with amounts of salts necessary to achieve my desired levels for 5.25 gallons, not the 7 gallons I need for the entire process. Any idea why this should be the case, and is there a way I can pin the adjustments to the calculated "water needed" instead of the batch size?

Its working for me, Phil.  But, I did notice that the "add water" popup volume entry (at the bottom of the window) defaults to the batch size (not total water volume needed).

Excellent, thanks Tom! Working perfectly now.

Just gotta remember to change that value at the bottom-left each time I choose to put the water profile in my ingredient list. I suppose Brad had to pin the default value somewhere; and the batch size may have been just as good a place as any at the time. Easy enough to work with IMO.

Back