Author Topic: Fermentation heaters  (Read 2595 times)

Offline philm63

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
Fermentation heaters
« on: September 23, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »
it got colder in my basement the last couple of days - enough so that I need to start thinking about a heater for my 7 cu ft chest freezer where my primary fermentation takes place. I've looked at those wrap-around-the-carboy units and it seems those may be susceptible to being easily damaged - don't much care for electric shock or fire hazards so I'll likely look elsewhere.

I have a small heating pad in there right now hooked up to my Johnson controller but it is a meager 45W - likely not enough to carry me through the winter months (no HVAC in basement yet).

There was a stick-on heater designed for chest freezers I saw once, about a square foot or so - 110 V, can't remember where I saw it, but I was wondering if that approach would be better/safer for heating the fermentation chamber when needed. Anyone use these devices and if so, do you have any advice for me?
On Tap: Air
Fermenting: Kolsch
On Deck: House IPA

Offline tom_hampton

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
    • Tom's Miata Racing Blog
Re: Fermentation heaters
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 06:42:44 PM »
Hey Phil-

I use the 45W wally world heating pads.  I can maintain beer temps up to 15F above the fridge temperature.  If I need to go higher than that, I use reflectix to jacket the fermenter.  That gets me up to about 25F above the fridge. 

R.I.P.:Belgian Blonde
On Tap: Apfelwein, Kolsch(v2), Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Specialty 
Aging/Storing: Coffee Porter, Chocolate Porter, Flanders Red, English Barlywine
Fermenting: Maggie's Altbier
Next Up: PtE(1.1), Belgian Dubbel?

Working thru all BCS recipes

Offline philm63

• Agis Quod Adis!
Re: Fermentation heaters
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 03:32:22 AM »
Thanks Tom, good to know. Do you just drop them in somewhere not in contact with the carboy(s) as I have done (I only have one in there right now)? And do you use more than one?
On Tap: Air
Fermenting: Kolsch
On Deck: House IPA

modification