• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Frozen Beer and yeast.

Troy

Apprentice
Reaction score
So the winters here in wisconsin can get a little on the chilly side and right now I am working in a shed just off from the house. I plan to have my fresh beer (primary fermentation) in the house for the first week or two but then have it sit a little extra (secondary) in the shed this winter. I have plans to put a heater in there with a thermostate and try to keep everything at a decent temp. But, if by chance something goes wrong with the heater will I have lost the whole batch if it freezes?

To continue to make a long story longer can I thaw out a beer and add priming sugar and bottle it with no ill affects to the carbonating. Or will my yeast have died off and I should look for other ways of possibly salvaging the batch?

based on info from the White lab web site, freezing yeast will rupture their cell walls and invite bacteria to grow.  When the temp rises, bacterial will have a pahtay in your carboy.  I doubt you will want to drink the mess they leave behind.  http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/craft_yeast_storage.html

Cheers

i froze a lager in the secondary once, it actually ended up crystal clear and quite tasty it was late in the process though and the yeast had already dropped out. If its early in the ferment it would be a mess i would imagine.

Back