• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help with Coriander

walkerd

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I recently made a batch of wheat beer and I wanted to add coriander to one of the 5 gallon fermentors.  Now I realize almost everyone adds coriander the last 5 minutes of the boil, to late for that now. 

I would still like to get some coriander aroma and flavor so I was going to add it after primary finishes.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  if so how much should I add and should I crush it or grind it?  originally I was going to add 1/2 oz of crushed and I don't want it to be overpowering.  Any assistance will be appreciated.

Grind it with a mortar and pestle then mix it in 2oz of vodka. let it set a few hours then pour it all into whatever vessel you want. 

When it is added to the boil, there tends to break down and some of the aromatics are volatilized out in steam.  You can get an eye dropper and drop a single drop into a pint of beer and see how it tastes.  That will still be concentrated but you will get the idea.

jomebrew said:
Grind it with a mortar and pestle then mix it in 2oz of vodka. let it set a few hours then pour it all into whatever vessel you want. 

When it is added to the boil, there tends to break down and some of the aromatics are volatilized out in steam.  You can get an eye dropper and drop a single drop into a pint of beer and see how it tastes.  That will still be concentrated but you will get the idea.

+1

Great advice for a lot of spices in beers.

I did the same thing with my current pumpkin ale...aka JZ's recipe from BCS.  2/3rd spice at flameout.  Made a tincture in a jelly jar, and used an eye dropper to "jUUUUUuuuuust" tweak it out after racking to the keg.  As with Jomebrew, I did this with a pint of beer, 1 drop per pint = 40 drops per keg. 

40 drops is usually close to a mililiter.  So, 1 drop per pint = 1 mL per 5g batch. 

Always undershoot additions like this.  Add 1/2 - 2/3rd of what you think.  Then inch up on it.  Its hard to take spice away if you overdo it. 

Thanks guys, excellent advice, I've never thought about trying it in a pint first with an eyedropper. 

So you don't think there would be any problem with adding it in the fermentor?  I can't figure out why every one says add it to the boil unless it's just to sterilize the coriander.  I think the Vodka will definately sterilize it if that's the only reason to drop it in the boil.

Actually, flavor compounds are generally soluble in one of three different mediums: water, alcohol, or oil.  Some are soluble in more than one, but generally not.  We don't use oils because of their impact on flavor (they can oxidize and go rancid), mouth feel, and head retention.

So, one reason to do both is that you will get subtly different flavors from each.  Also, just like with hops and bitterness some flavor compounds develop IN THE BOIL. For some spices this is a GOOD THING, for others not so much.  You can figure this out over time, but start by following the recipes...and following the 1/2 - 2/3rd rule...with the balance done via tincture and titration. 

Great advice JomeBrew and Tom Hampton. I will follow your suggestion with my first Christmas beer to brew this weekend. I was planning to add the spices as a spice tea/extract in the secondary fermenter. I will take care of the 1/2 - 2/3 rule and test the spice tea first on a pint of a relative simular beer I just bottled.
Regards,
Slurk

Back