• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BS2: evaporation rate, could I adjust it?

Slurk

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,
Due to a larger post boil volume than calculated I would like to adjust the evaporation rate in BS2 (default 8,4%/hour). I can't find this possibility in the profile set up. Is this correct, or...? Any advice?
Regards,
Slurk

Funny, I JUST did this for my brew day start. Same thing has been happening to me but I didn't really worry about it. Just got to tinkering with it this morning and adjusted it to see how my numbers turn out later.

When you're in the design portion of your recipe just click on the check mark that's beside the pull down menu for the Equipment profile. There you can change your evaporation rate among other variables.

Hi,
  Its in your equipment profile - as posted above you just edit the equipment profile to change it.

Brad

Thanks a lott Brad/Pcollins!
I have changed the evaporation rate accordingly and made a new default for my equipment set up.

Yesterday I didn't see the relationship between "boil off", "boil off as an hourly rate" and "evaporation rate".

Regards,
Slurk

NOTE:  Ideally, you WANT a boiloff between 12 and 15% per hour.  If you are not exceeding 12% per hour, then you are likely not evolving all of the DMS that is produced during the boil. 

This is a risk anytime you are using 2-row, 6-row, or pilsener Malts.  The heat from roasting Pale malts and darker destroys the SMM in the grain, so they do not have this risk. Thus, you can boil those as slowly as you wish.  Slower boiling will have a minor effect on hops utilization due to decreased wort circulation. 

So, if you are making a german pilsener, light lager, Saison or anything using one of the palest base malts...turn your flame UP and boil-off more. 

Thanks Tom!
Yes, I agree DMS could be a nasty one when brewing German pilsener and lagers. And you know I am brewing those and want vigarous boils.
My set up is a 30L boiling kettle that I heat on the electrical kitchen stove, so far so good. The electrical kitchen stove is this "self thinking" system that regulates output/heat. However, sometimes she (it is a she) "thinks" different from what I would like to see from her (I can't change her personality and I can't change her mood:)). This is from time to time frustrating especially since I am a real fan of Asian wok food (needs high temperatures) and the other hobby..... brewing beer. Murphey's law is also involved here (she is more moody when having guests over for dinner etc.)
Last saturday, after a long period of being nice and dedicated, she was moody again. I got the wort to a boil, but not a real vigarous boil as I would like. She might have thought that this was more than good enough for me. I decided to split up the wort in a 10L and a 18L parallel boil. I lost some time on this in the beginning, but it worked fine after all.
Regards,
Slurk

Back