• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wyeast 1007 Fermentation Temp

mannykhosla

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I brewed first time with all grain Oktoberfest using Wyeast 1007 German Ale. The OG was 1.048. From all that I have read I have kept the primary fermentation temp at 62F for first 7 days and then slowly dropped it to 54F in the last two days. Gravity test read 1.022.
Question: Should I keep the fermentation going at 54F till I have I get 1.015 or should I goahead and reduce the temperature to 34F as what I have read? PLease advice.

This is a True top cropping yeast, low ester formation, broad temperature range affects styles. Cold fermentation will produce lager characteristics including sulfur production. Fermentation at higher temperatures may produce some mild fruitiness. Generally, yeast remains significantly in suspension. Beers mature rapidly, even when cold fermentation is used. Low or no detectable diacetyl. Attenuation: 73-77%
Flocculation: Low, Temperature: 55-68°F, Alcohol Tolerance: 11%. If you are going to Lager, I'd use a Lager Yeast.

Back