Author Topic: Spice Additions and Sanitation?  (Read 3027 times)

Offline philm63

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
Spice Additions and Sanitation?
« on: October 02, 2012, 12:31:12 PM »
Are we worrying about sanitation (other than the usual precautions) when we crack open a bottle of pumpkin pie spice from the cupboard to add a spoon-full into our secondary? Is the fact we have beer and not wort enough insurance against contamination?

And do I add powdered spice to the secondary or make a slurry with, say... vodka or some other neutral spirit?
On Tap: Air
Fermenting: Kolsch
On Deck: House IPA

Offline tom_hampton

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
    • Tom's Miata Racing Blog
Re: Spice Additions and Sanitation?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 02:19:45 PM »
I worry about it.  That's why I soak anything in vodka before it goes in (valilla beans, coffee beans, spices, etc). 

For my pumpkin spice, I soaked two teaspoons in 1/2c vodka for two weeks.  Then I used an eye-dropper to dose it into the finished beer.  I feel pretty safe about that. 

Interesting fact.  if you soak pumpkin spice in vodka for two weeks....the spice will turn into a gooey/slimey mess.  I only ended up with about 1/4 cup of spiced vodka after straining it.  The rest was soaked up by the spice.  I tried to filter it through some coffee filters, but not much came through.  I ended up just pouring the vodka straight off the top. 

R.I.P.:Belgian Blonde
On Tap: Apfelwein, Kolsch(v2), Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Specialty 
Aging/Storing: Coffee Porter, Chocolate Porter, Flanders Red, English Barlywine
Fermenting: Maggie's Altbier
Next Up: PtE(1.1), Belgian Dubbel?

Working thru all BCS recipes

modification