Author Topic: Bottom for Brew Kettle  (Read 6145 times)

Offline condog

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Bottom for Brew Kettle
« on: October 02, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »
I have a keg, that I made into a brew kettle, with ball valve and sight glass. I am wondering what would work best for help in filtering hops at end of boil? False bottom or bazooka screen ? I recently added whole hops at end of boil , first time I used whole hops. That created clogging of the ball valve when I tried to drain.

Offline tom_hampton

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
    • Tom's Miata Racing Blog
Re: Bottom for Brew Kettle
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 05:11:51 PM »
Better?  Dunno...I think they are about equal for whole hops (one is cheaper though).  Actually they are both equally INeffective for pellet hops, too.  :-)

I have a bazooka screen over a dip-tube.  I use whole hops.  Works fine. 
R.I.P.:Belgian Blonde
On Tap: Apfelwein, Kolsch(v2), Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Specialty 
Aging/Storing: Coffee Porter, Chocolate Porter, Flanders Red, English Barlywine
Fermenting: Maggie's Altbier
Next Up: PtE(1.1), Belgian Dubbel?

Working thru all BCS recipes

Offline durrettd

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 09:40:38 AM »
I give the chilled wort 20 - 30 minutes to settle before draining the kettle and use a stainless steel scrubbing pad held against the inside of the valve with a slotted copper tubing gadget that wedges into the bottom of the kettle. It's sufficient to keep whole hops in the kettle. If I use pellets (rarely) I put them in a bag. As the hops pile up against the scrubber the runoff gets clearer. The runoff also goes into a sanitized, fine-mesh bag on the way to the fermenter.

The double-filtering gives reasonably clear wort and adds a bit of aeration. I know crystal-clear wort seems like a good idea, but whatever crud gets through the double filter seems to drop out during fermentation and cold crashing.

I'm a pretty casual brewer and am generally willing to believe that the easy way is adequate until proven otherwise; does anyone have experience to indicate that a little cloudiness in the wort is harmful to the finished beer?

Dan

Offline GoodisBeer

• Flannel Shirt Brewing
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 10:58:30 PM »
If it taste good it is GOOD! I don't blame the haziness of the beer but, the haziness of your eyes.

Ever since I started kegging I've  colded crashed the beer for 2-3 days after fermentation. I've been getting great clarity. (I use hop pellets.)

Offline merfizle

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 06:41:05 AM »
I have a side dip tube and use that in conjunction with whirlpooling for 10 minutes.

Mark
Primary: Lambic base for solera barrel
Kegged: Bavarian Weissbier, N. English brown, Roggenbier

Offline brewark

• Newark, CA
  • BeerSmith Brewer
  • Stay thirsty my friends!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 05:14:15 PM »
I use a dip tube with a cap at the end.  Then I drilled small holes in the cap so that the openings are larger than a screen but too small for whole hops to pass through.  I use the cotton bag that Seven Bridges sells when I use pellets, but put the whole hops in loose.

It sounds a little Rube Goldberg, but it works.
Beer...now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline philm63

• Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 06:12:40 PM »
I'm struggling with the same issue; too much nasty trub is passing from my kettle into my fermenter!

For my last brew, I bunched-up one end of a stainless steel scrubby and stuffed it into the exit hole on the inside of my kettle - seemed to work a little better but I also tipped the kettle back about 10 degrees and let it rest about 20 minutes after chilling the wort so the nastiness wouldn't build-up at the exit hole.

I'm looking at a new pot - the Boilermaker with the optional Hop-Blocker in hopes it will help with getting clean wort into the fermenter.

Anyone have any input on this?
On Tap: Air
Fermenting: Kolsch
On Deck: House IPA