• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottom for Brew Kettle

condog

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a keg, that I made into a brew kettle, with ball valve and sight glass. I am wondering what would work best for help in filtering hops at end of boil? False bottom or bazooka screen ? I recently added whole hops at end of boil , first time I used whole hops. That created clogging of the ball valve when I tried to drain.

Better?  Dunno...I think they are about equal for whole hops (one is cheaper though).  Actually they are both equally INeffective for pellet hops, too.  :)

I have a bazooka screen over a dip-tube.  I use whole hops.  Works fine. 

I give the chilled wort 20 - 30 minutes to settle before draining the kettle and use a stainless steel scrubbing pad held against the inside of the valve with a slotted copper tubing gadget that wedges into the bottom of the kettle. It's sufficient to keep whole hops in the kettle. If I use pellets (rarely) I put them in a bag. As the hops pile up against the scrubber the runoff gets clearer. The runoff also goes into a sanitized, fine-mesh bag on the way to the fermenter.

The double-filtering gives reasonably clear wort and adds a bit of aeration. I know crystal-clear wort seems like a good idea, but whatever crud gets through the double filter seems to drop out during fermentation and cold crashing.

I'm a pretty casual brewer and am generally willing to believe that the easy way is adequate until proven otherwise; does anyone have experience to indicate that a little cloudiness in the wort is harmful to the finished beer?

Dan

If it taste good it is GOOD! I don't blame the haziness of the beer but, the haziness of your eyes.

Ever since I started kegging I've  colded crashed the beer for 2-3 days after fermentation. I've been getting great clarity. (I use hop pellets.)

I have a side dip tube and use that in conjunction with whirlpooling for 10 minutes.

Mark

I use a dip tube with a cap at the end.  Then I drilled small holes in the cap so that the openings are larger than a screen but too small for whole hops to pass through.  I use the cotton bag that Seven Bridges sells when I use pellets, but put the whole hops in loose.

It sounds a little Rube Goldberg, but it works.

I'm struggling with the same issue; too much nasty trub is passing from my kettle into my fermenter!

For my last brew, I bunched-up one end of a stainless steel scrubby and stuffed it into the exit hole on the inside of my kettle - seemed to work a little better but I also tipped the kettle back about 10 degrees and let it rest about 20 minutes after chilling the wort so the nastiness wouldn't build-up at the exit hole.

I'm looking at a new pot - the Boilermaker with the optional Hop-Blocker in hopes it will help with getting clean wort into the fermenter.

Anyone have any input on this?

Back