• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Default values differentiated as different color?

ipso

Apprentice
Reaction score
I sometimes get confused if, for example, a [Measured FG] value is the 1.010 default, or 1.010 the value I actually had and put into the file.  What would be great is if all default values were simply a different color background or text color or something.  Someway to intuitively tell that it’s a temporary placeholder value vs. my user input.

I don’t know if that is even possible though, because the files are all copies of copies of copies.  I guess to implement that users would have to be able to adjust the colors themselves in templates – and then copied brew day versions user input values would reset back to “normal” black.

Beersmith helps you quickly create a bewlog of a recipe in the Home banner tools.  Click a recipe then clock the Copy to Log icon.  This copies your recipe to the Brew Log folder (one creates it if it does not exist). 

One of your first actions on a copied recipe is to zero out measures values.  I like to alter the name as well by adding the brew date in the Name.  Simply click twice in the measured field and press the delete key.  The software will fill in all zeros when you leave the field or click on the next one.

Beersmith could * or color these fields when a recipe is copied using the above procedure.  Or a setting to zero measured fields on copy could be implemented.  Personally, I would rather not have Beersmith muck with my copy.

I don’t use the “Brew Log” function because I’m more comfortable copying the files and moving them myself.  For example, if I wanted a copy of an Excel document, I wouldn't open it and [Save File As] to a new file name.  I would just go to Explorer and Copy/Paste and manually rename the new copy. 

(...But I suspect every single one of my family members – all generations – are the opposite.  They would love the Brew Log button.)

My point is not addressed by the Brew Log function.  I keep my recipes AS templates in my root directory.  I make a copy on brew day and tweak its fields as needed …  …

But, I’m such an idiot.  You’re right – all I have to do is go into all my templates and put everything as 0.0000.  (Doh!)  and, conveniently, red dots appear next to most of them for being out of the proper range.

Thank you for your reply, because it led me to the obvious.

Case closed.  :)

Back