• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dial in Equipment-Volumes-etc. in BeerSmith

CoBrew

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have been brewing since April 2012. So I a really a rookie. I also live at altitude and water boils at about 203 here. Many of my beers have been thin and watery and I am afraid that the water volumes have not been programmed correctly in default BeerSmith mode or by me...PLEASE HELP. I have a 15.5 gallon keggle mash tun and about 2.85 gallons below my false bottom. I have been adding 2.85 gallons to my mash volume and subtracting this from my Sparge volumes...also keyed in .5 gallon loss to trub and boil kettle. I use 3 keggles and 3 burners and have recently upgraded to a top tier stand from Mr. Blichmann. Advice readily accepted.

except in extreme cases, I don't see how the water volumes will affect the body of your beer that much.  The main culprits are your recipe and your mash temp.  Secondary, you have your water profile, yeast choice, and fermentation.

I'd look at those variables before worrying about water volumes.  If you're ending up with the right volume at the end of the boil (you didn't mention), you're probably alright.

Yes, a thin mash will thin out your beer a bit; but you really have to skew that.  I used to brew on a system just like you describe with the huge dead space below my false bottom and I never had a problem with body.

Back