Author Topic: BS 2 won't boot MAC  (Read 9306 times)

Offline jackspearson

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • The dude abides
Re: BS 2 won't boot MAC
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 12:07:07 AM »
Brad,

I grabbed another computer and replaced the BS2 directory with my old one and it booted up with all of my old data/recipes/equip exactly as I left it. I then went ahead and updated my computer to 10.8.2, installed the 64-bit edition of BS2, verified that it worked, and then replaced the directory with my old one. Everything is there and the app seems to be working fine. Thanks for all of your effort trying to figure this out. I wish we had figured out the cause of the issue, but I honestly think it was something wrong with my machine, not BS2. But it's working again and my recipes are safe!

Cheers,
Jack

Offline jackspearson

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • The dude abides
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 09:56:34 AM »
That is actually very helpful.  It looks like the program is in an infinite loop trying to initialize your printer.

Did you install a new printer driver recently?

Just as a test, could you try unplugging your printer or setting another printer such as the PDF printer as default?  It may be that there is some kind of conflict with the printer driver and BeerSmith.  I know some Epson printers were having trouble printing from the 32 bit version of BeerSmith, so it could be related to that.

Brad

To respond to your thoughts directly, I have not installed any new printers lately - not in the last two months at least. I did install a new printer about 2 months ago for which I did have to alter some code to allow it to work. It's a Samsung ML-1740 that isn't supposed to work with Macs. I wonder if that could have anything to do with it? It seems to me that the problem would have cropped up immediately and not waited a while.

I'm sorry now that I didn't try harder to figure out the problem for your list of known problems but I needed to get it taken care of so I used the bigger hammer method and updated the system software.

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 01:00:16 PM »
Jack,
  I'm just glad to hear you are up and running again.  Sorry for the problem in the first place.  I do try to be responsive - and wish I could have figured this one out a bit quicker.

Thanks,
Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

modification