• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

fruit flies

bruce

Apprentice
Reaction score
allright, I repitched a champagne yeast starter on a pumkin porter now 4 days later, i have fruit flys appearing in the airlock. might have been contaminated when opened for the pitching. should i be afraid?

Unless you also see them in the carboy as well,  I wouldn't worry about it - not much you can do anyway I suppose. 

Isn't it possible that they could just have well found their way into the airlock from the outside?

Brian.

Is there vodka in the airlock between open air and beer?  If so they can't get in.

sanitizer in the airlock, sure looks as tho they came through but dont appear to be any more today than yesterday and the yeast is still working a little.

The fermenting wort is an anaerobic environment. So even if they got inside they wouldn't survive. You've got nothing to worry about.

will transfer to secondary tomorrow will know more then, thanks to all and cheers to good beers

Sounds mopre like they are feasting on residue around the edges or somewhere...

I get the little buggers in my airlocks often. They climb in through the vent holes in the cap and then drown. Good riddance to them. But it isn't a problem for the beer.

transferred on sunday. no flies in the bucket,just fine smelling porter. s.g. 1.020 dry hopped with an oz of fuggle cones. looks and tastes pretty good. drank hydrometer sample, thats why its called a sample isnt it?

Not to change the subject but seeing that were talking about fruit flies. I'm not sure they just live in over rippen fruit. This year I pick several tomatoes that were just turning red, place them on my counter top to rippen, A few days later they would split open with a white fluid and fruit flies would be hovering over the tomatoes. I've always wonder how they found their way to my garage when my wife was bottling fruit, jams or jellies. Now I Know. 

Back