• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carbonation temperature for bottling

skinnydipper

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm slightly confused about the "temperature" figure when using the carbonation tool for bottling my brew. Is this the temperature at which the brew was fermented or the temperature at the time of bottling. The reason I ask is that I normally crash chill my brew for a few days at the end of fermentation and then bring it back up to room temperature before bottling and I wondered whether this should be taken into account when using the tool.

It's the temperature of the beer while it is carbonating.  If you prime with sugar, it's the temperature of the bottles while they sit for two weeks. If you keg and force carb, it's the temperature of the keg while it is sitting with co2 pressure. 

From the Beer Smith Help:
Beer Temperature - For forced (Kegged) carbonation, this is the temperature at which the keg will be carbonated.  For bottled beer, this is the temperature of the beer when it is primed and bottled (not the storage temperature).

http://www.beersmith.com/Help/carbonation_tool.htm

As you probably know when beer ferments it produces CO2.  Some of that CO2 stays in solution.  The amount depends on temperature.

Back