• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

fale bottom

duane

New Forum Member
Reaction score
just getting started in all grain brewing. i am using a ten gallon round cooler for my mash tun with a false bottom i purchased from northern brewer. my problem is that after i crushed my grain to industry standard i had a lot of grain go thru the screen and into my kettle. any advice would be great.
Cheers!

+1 for what Beer Tigger says.

...oh, and go slowly. I use the same set up and try to target a 45 minute run off - after recirculating to get clear wort.

...and a decent refractomoter would be a good tool to have handy so the runnings won't go below 1.010 SG - anything below this will likely start extracting harsh tannins. I'll check my runnings after they start looking real clear to see where the gravity is and when it starts getting close to 1.010, I'm done.

Here's a link to the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/XiTech-0-32-Brix-ATC-Refractometer/dp/B004Q800RK

In case the link doesn't work properly; it's a XiTech 0-32% Brix ATC Refractometer - entering this in Google will get you there.

Back