• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

OOPS!

Rusty Nails

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Since I firmly believe in supporting my local economy, I have been buying from my LHBS, even tho I can get ingredients cheaper 90 miles away.
Because they were not carrying malts I was not used to, and, mainley, because I was using a new equipment set up which I had not dialed in yet, my efficiencies were low.
The LHBS started stocking Great Western malts, which are the malts I am used to. And, I got my new equipment dialed in.
AND, I brewed using my low numbers, even tho testing showed otherwise.
The first hint of a problem came during bottling. I pulled a sample for the hydrometer, and let it sit while bottling. Not wishing to be wasteful, after bottling I poured the sample into a pint glass, marvelled at the color, then drank it.
My wife made the comment 'What's wrong with your eyes?' This should have tipped me off, since SHMBO is legally blind. I also noticed my nose was starting to numb.
A week after bottling, the hops have started to mellow, and the flavor is great. But it isn't the simple, mild, red ale I had intended.
But, it's a keeper!
I'll keep everyone posted as this progresses, with weekly 'testing'

Ed

Back