• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Reading CO2 Gauges

MikeinRH

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
If Mickey's little hand is on "Empty" ...
This should be an easy answer, but I was wondering what indicators you get when your CO2 tank is about to run out of gas. I don't want to turn in a tank that still has some gas left. For example, if I'm force carbonating at 30 PSI, will the gauge begin to move lower at the point in which it is no longer able to deliver the desired PSI? I know that lack of sound is a good indicator, but I was curious to know if the gauges respond accordingly.

If your not getting 30 psi then your tank is probably empty. The tare weight should be on the tank. Weighing it would give an indication of how much co2 is left.

A buddy of mine has a dual gauge regulator, and he's said it's a waste of money. When tanks go they go. There really isn't much warning. If it doesn't reach the psi you've set for it, it's done. Yeah, there might be enough left to push out a few beers, but that's it. Sorry.

Thanks, guys. When you can't get to the desired PSI, the tank is spent. Found that out. I've also discovered that you can save a ton of gas and omit issues with foam by keeping the valves turned off. I only switch the valves on when I need more volume from the tap.

imho you'd be better off leaving the valves open and fixing any leaks you might have. Especially if you have multiple kegs switching out for force carb.

Having a backup co2 source is a good idea as well. I recently had a tank tied up for a month at a hydro testing facility(they said it would only take a couple days up front). A 2 LB paintball gun tank can make a good backup.

I recently ditched my old regulator (cornelius model) (wasn't really that old) in favor of this new one:
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-pid-642.html

It has made a lot of the problems I've had with co2 go away. The 2nd gauge is neat too because you can measure the tank losses.

Back