• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

navigating Beersmith

grathan

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Is it possible to navigate beersmith without a mouse? The TAB button doesn't seem to move the focus at all. The up and down arrows don't seem to do anything. Am I looking at it wrong?

I'm going to bump this.  I've asked before also, and didn't get a reply. 

I'd like to think this is a simple addition to the code.  Allow keyboard controls.

Thanks.

I don't think so. Brad hasn't put much effort into it.  He has mentioned before that on som fforms the tab order is wacky, because he hasn't taken the time to define it.

Yet another annoyance about the usability of bs2. (sigh)

This is a big hassle for me using my laptop.  I tend to turn off the touchpad as my palms move my cursor around.  I use keyboard navigation very often in most apps.  I guess I am just an old school DOS guy.

jomebrew said:
This is a big hassle for me using my laptop.  I tend to turn off the touchpad as my palms move my cursor around.  I use keyboard navigation very often in most apps.  I guess I am just an old school DOS guy.

As am I (DOS, *nix, etc).  Most coder types seem to fall into this category.  Efficiency of motion is a big part of our methods of work.  I HATE having to remove my hands from a keyboard.  The very first thing I do with a new piece of software that I decide to keep is lookup the keyboard shortcuts. 

I guess that's why it is surprising to find a piece of software where it is so poorly "thought" out...or wantonly ignored.

Brad has commented before that it is "difficult" in the library that he chose to use.  I don't really think that argument holds much water, because HE chose the library.  Cross platform or not, the quirks of this library (while better than the 1.x UI) leave a LOT to be desired.  I haven't used the MAC versions (because I'm a PC/*nix guy), but I can only imagine that it is equally ODD to use.  By ODD, I mean violates so many of the standard tenants of the users "expectations" for a MAC (or PC) program.  By trying to be both, it is neither....and everyone is frustrated. 

Back