• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Buying in Bulk

• Thread starter Eric_Stephenson
  • Start date
E

Eric_Stephenson

Hello All,

Got a question about buying in bulk to lower the cost per batch.

Are there certain grains, hops, DME or other things that you will purchase in bulk (say 1 lb instead of 2 ounces at a time) to lower the cost?

Are there any "base" ingredients that you use in alot/most of your batches that you purchase this way? Light DME or Cascade Hop Pellets for examples.

Thanks in advance.

I always buy pale malt in 50lb bags.  It significantly reduces the cost per batch.  I usually go through at least one bag a year.

I've considered other items, but it would take me too long to consume a few lbs of hops or 50 lb of a specialty grain.

One other trick is to culture/reuse yeast from one batch to the next.  You can get 5 or more batches from a single yeast pack if you are careful about making clean starters from older batches and storing them in the fridge.

Brad

heck ya. If I didn't buy my base malt in 55 pound bags (Maris Otter at about 45 cents a pound) I wouldn't be able to afford to brew as often as I do.  I also buy hops by the pound, reuse yeast, etc...

I recently bought iodophor by the gallon, though I got hosed on shipping, so I didn't save anything. I'm also looking at buying my specialy grain in 55# bags and splitting it with guys in my brew club.

I am looking for a new place to buy bulk grains, any suggestions? Since Austin/Bulk Homebrew supply shut down thier bulk side I can't find anyone. The best price I have found is $1.10lb for 2row! I used to get 50lb sacks for $29.95!

I recommend going local if you can.  Shipping from out of the area usually kills the price unless you order a truckload.  

If you have no one in your local area, wait until you travel and pick up a bag then.

Brad

Brad...Where you get your 50# bag of Malt, is it a website? If so can you pass that along?

Thanks

I just found out that if you Google for "buy pale malt in 50lb bags" Alot of places come up.

When I was in Virginia I bought from Jay's brewing in Fairfax.   My last bag came from San Antonio when I was on vacation.

Most local shops sell them in the $30-40 range if you pick it up - depending on what it is. Sometimes you can find one for $25-30 for domestic malt if you get lucky.

Brad

You can get free shipping from here if you spend $59.00. 55 lbs of maris otter from Crisp Malting for 45 bucks,

http://www.morebeer.com/browse.html?category_id=2345&keyword=&x=1&y=1

When I was in Virginia I bought from Jay's brewing in Fairfax.   My last bag came from San Antonio when I was on vacation.

Most local shops sell them in the $30-40 range if you pick it up - depending on what it is. Sometimes you can find one for $25-30 for domestic malt if you get lucky.

Brad

I do the same.  When I am on vacation, or in a town with a LHBS, I buy a sack of grain.  Our brewclub just made a grain purchase with the aid of Millstream brewery in Amana, IA.  We were able to get a pallet of assorted grains at 30 cents a pound.  I got 2 bags of 2-row, a sack of munich, and a sack of biscuit.  I know "A whole sack of biscuit?", but I use it in all of my pale ales and IPA's.

The best place to buy bulk is your local brewpub.. They are always eager to help. I buy 50# bags of 2 row for 17.00. They sell it to me at cost and ofcourse there is no shpiping fees when you pick it up. Also I am able to enjoy a cold brew while I am there.

Back