• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

aging beer?

madchef77

Brewer
Reaction score
ok so we are brewing a winter warmer beer that needs to rest for like a month or so.  Would it be better to age in a secondary or in bottles?  my guess would be secondary with out the sugar.  please give info.  HAPPY BREWING AND HALLOWEEN.

What is your goal for "resting" over a month?  If it is to let the hops, harsh bitterness, and alcohol mellow out so that it's not so harsh. (i.e. aging) I would just age or rest in bottle or keg at least for a month. More chance for bacterial infection if it's left in secondary.
Also remember that if your winter warmer is dry hopped or has a lot of hop aroma, that it will be lost over time. 
Hope my thoughts helped. Good luck.

secondary vs bottle won't matter too much.  Both have the bulk of yeast removed.  In some cases, you want to keep it on the yeast to clean up fermentation byproducts - especially with bigger beers and lagers.

Past that, no big deal. GiB make a good point about dry hopping, though. If you bulk age in secondary, you can always add dry hops just before bottling.  However, there's no greater chance to infection if it's left in secondary.  If your fermentor isn't clean and sanitized in the first place, it doesn't matter how long you keep the beer in there.

A month is fine in the secondary. If it's going to be much longer than that it's a good idea to minimize head space or purge the thing with CO2 if you can. 

You don't have a vigorous fermentation that's going to push the air out quickly. It's going to be sitting on the brew a while. Possibly long enough for an airborne microbe to feast on oxygen and your brew.

Just a month or two? No worries.

Back