• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scaling recipes: when NOT to match original gravity, color and bitterness?

gshopper

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I was scaling a recipe from 5 to 9 gallons, and I noticed the button on the popup to match original gravity, color, and bitterness.  I assume everybody would want to match these, and I tried scaling with and without clicking the button.  It didn't change anything that I could tell.

Does this do anything?  Would anybody not want to use it if it actually doesn't match the profile? 

Not that this is really important to my next brew, but it's bothering me that I can't figure out why it's there.

I think if you leave the box unchecked, it simply scales each ingredient by your scaling factor. Whereas if you check the Match box it takes into account the extract efficiency, boil-off rates, etc. of different equipment...when I use it, I usually just do a straight scale, then go back to the recipe and nudge the quantities of each ingredient to a nice round number. For most homebrewers, the new recipe is probably sufficiently close to the original batch.

If on the other hand you wanted to exactly match the beer after scaling, just check the box and brew with the "suggestion" given. I say it that way because I believe there are too many variables for even BeerSmith to take into account when scaling a recipe, and it's going to take a few batches of trial and error to exactly match anyway. Add to that the obsurd ingredient precision making brew day difficult...For example, instead of adding 1.0 ounce of hops, you might need to add 1.137 ounces of hops. Is anyone really going to care about that 0.137 ounce? Maybe. Depends on when you add it in the boil, Alpha Acid level, etc. That's where the human element comes in. Use your best judgement, brew a batch, and then update the recipe if needed.

Back