• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First AG - Do I have to mash-out?

factory

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I'm planning out my first All Grain batch, and I'm using the BeerSmith "Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge" program for the mash.  I've noticed there is no mash-out step in the program, just a single 4.85 gallon sparge at 168*F.  I've read Palmer and few others and they mention a Mash out step.  Is it a required thing to to?  Or does the batch sparge at 168* take care of stopping the enzymes?

No reason to mash out for batch sparging.  Just add the 168° water and let sit for 10 minutes before you start your sparge.  Mash outs aid in lautering if you use a high percentage of adjuncts.

Mark

Just curious, what is the significance of the 168.0 F if it is not a mash out?

If you're trying to reach a particular final gravity, and you don't mash out, the enzymes will continue their work until they are denatured during the sparging process. This can result in a thinner than expected brew. That can matter, depending on the style. In general it doesn't.

That said, in my experience mashing out helps is that it raises the temp of the sugar coated grain before washing it off, making the sugars less sticky and more easily removed. This raises my efficiency. Or at least that's what I think based upon my experience. I've posted this before and had others tell me it's my imagination.

Being that you're just starting out on your AG journey, I wouldn't worry about it at this time.
Best way to see for yourself is to make two otherwise identical batches, except that you do the mash out step with one and skip it with the other.
Then compare gravity readings and efficiency.  I bet you'll get a better yield off the one where you mashed out.

I typically bring my sparge water to almost boiling while mashing.  Then when you start to sparge, this will bring the temp of the mash up to "mash out" temps and stop conversion.  It is quite common from what I have read.

Back