Author Topic: Infected starter?  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Lucas Zimmerman

• Klnusftly
  • BeerSmith Brewer
  • With Beer?......Tis all good:)
Infected starter?
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:45:23 AM »
I need a little advice. I made a starter last week for my kolsh( I intended to brew last weekend, but I ran into some problems)using my stir plate. I should also say that I plan to make an alt next week using the same yeast. Anyway, so I couldn't brew last week, so this last Wednesday I decanted the old wort from my starter and pitched new wort (.5c DME to 2c distilled water)to activate/step up my wort. I wasn't able to keep it under control and the wort erupted. I tried to to keep it as clean as possible. I wiped the outside with Lysol wipes and the rim with an  alcohol  wipe. I have a fear that this could have gotten infected. Any input would be great.

Offline brewfun

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Malt dust is just alcohol's glitter
Re: Infected starter?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 10:35:10 AM »
If you wiped it down while there was still a protective layer of krausen, you're fine! As long as there was positive pressure, nothing was falling in.

Next time, use a couple of drops of foam control in the wort, while it is above 180F. You won't see krausen in the starter, but big bubbles, instead (and sometimes what looks like a film or sheen on top; it's benign and not bacterial). But you will see the increase in yeast volume and avoid the blowoff you just had.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.