• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Infected starter?

Reaction score
I need a little advice. I made a starter last week for my kolsh( I intended to brew last weekend, but I ran into some problems)using my stir plate. I should also say that I plan to make an alt next week using the same yeast. Anyway, so I couldn't brew last week, so this last Wednesday I decanted the old wort from my starter and pitched new wort (.5c DME to 2c distilled water)to activate/step up my wort. I wasn't able to keep it under control and the wort erupted. I tried to to keep it as clean as possible. I wiped the outside with Lysol wipes and the rim with an  alcohol  wipe. I have a fear that this could have gotten infected. Any input would be great.

If you wiped it down while there was still a protective layer of krausen, you're fine! As long as there was positive pressure, nothing was falling in.

Next time, use a couple of drops of foam control in the wort, while it is above 180F. You won't see krausen in the starter, but big bubbles, instead (and sometimes what looks like a film or sheen on top; it's benign and not bacterial). But you will see the increase in yeast volume and avoid the blowoff you just had.

Back