• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith 2 hangs during free-text search

wahoo

Brewer
Reaction score
Beersmith Version 2.1.02
Windows XP ("server")
Windows 7 ("client")

I am having a problem where Beersmith 2 hangs intermittently.  The functionality that most-often causes this is the free-text search that appears on "Add" screens (Add Grain, Add Hops, etc)

Steps to recreate:
Open any recipe.
Click "Add Grain" button
Start typing "Golden Promise"
Application hangs as you type, usually within the first few letters.  Note: sometimes it works fine. 

I have added some Grains to the library, both manually and via bsm files from beersmith.com. 
I have seen this happen with other screens (Hops, Yeast IIRC)

I am using beersmith remotely-- I have a workstation (desktop PC) where beersmith is installed on a shared folder, which I access from a laptop via wireless LAN.  This problem only recently started happening.  It does also happen when I run beersmith locally on the workstation.

Attachments

• temp Add Grain_2012-11-04_10-37-19.jpg
    temp Add Grain_2012-11-04_10-37-19.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 395
Thanks,
I've added this to my high priority list to look at.  I know that the program basically initiates a search each time you type a letter and I suspect (though have not confirmed) that if you type fast enough it may generate conflicting overlapping searches - i.e. a second search starts modifying results before the first one completes.

It should be a relatively easy fix - so I've put it on my high priority list for the next update.

Brad

Back