• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

My first Porter: How to get a creamy Porter?

Slurk

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I am going to brew my first Porter.
I hope I will find the right balance in this beer using: East Kent Goldings, English Ale yeast (Whitelabs WLP 002) and on the grain bill Pale malt, Chrystal malt, Chocolate malt and Carafa.

My question is: how to get a creamy Porter? What could I influence, what should I avoid doing/using (ingredients, mashing scheme, fermentation, steps in the brewing process)?

Regards,
Slurk

Creamy isn't what I think of, when I think of potter. But, if that is what you are going for... I would make a brown Porter vs. a robust Porter. Second, I would mash very hot... 157f. Third I would use pale mostly pale chocolate malt (200l).  I might replace the carafa with 1/2 lb wheat malt.

If "creamy" is a target attribute you are looking for trying adding lactose along with your priming sugar at bottling.  I do this with an oatmeal stout recipe I make.  The lactose definitely adds a smooth creaminess to the beer.

@ Tom Hampton
Thanks Tom for your input! It definitely will be a hot mash.

@ Humble Brewer
Thanks for your input HB! Do you have more information regarding amount of lactose or ratio lactose versus sugar?

Regards,
Slurk

@Humble
You prime with lactose? I thought the point of lactose was that the yeast didn't eat the stuff, so it left residual sweetness and body. I'm confused.

Being that I'm lactose intolerant, I don't plan to test the theory. I'd go with the high mash temp. It will give you the high final gravity and big body you want for the style.

Thanks guys!
I definitely go for the high temp mash.

I am doubting a Little bit regarding the Lactose, however I could split up the batch and bottle first one with sugar and wait for 1-2-weeks and test the taste first (at least I have an indication) and decide if I will bottle the remaining part with a combination of sugar/lactose. Perhaps a bit risky to split up the batch due to control on sanitary conditions and the exposure to oxygen for the remaining part).

My question is still: does Lactose, next to sweetness, give the creamy/milky taste?
Regards,
Slurk

@Maine Homebrewer - I don't prime with lactose, its in addition.  My original comment was "add lactose along with your priming sugar".  That said, I did forget the priming sugar one time and only hit with lactose lol.  A mistake I have worked hard not to repeat.

Lactose will NOT carbonate your beer.  you cannot substitute it for priming sugar (malt, cane, or corn sugar). 

Lactose adds significant body, and a very light background sweetness.  it is a little bit sweeter than maltodextrin. 

But, it does not taste like milk or cream.  It gives the beer a luscious silky mouthfeel, and (as I said above) a hint of sweetness.  Although I would really call it a lack of dryness, rather than sweet. 

If I was going to split a batch, I would split it at bottling time.  I'd prime the whole batch in the bottling bucket.  then I would bottle the first half of it.  Then I'd add 1/2 lactose to the remainder, and bottle it. 

I don't think there is any risk that you won't like the lactose version.  Milk stout is a very nice recipe....and not THAT different from a Porter.  I think a Milk Brown Porter could be quite enjoyable.  I would expect it to enhance chocolaty flavors of the pale-chocolate, and the coffee flavors of the chocolate malts.  At worst, it might be a dessert beer.  My wife LOVES the Milk Stout a made a couple weeks ago....you know how the ladies are with chocolate!!

Thank you very much for your answer Tom!
You got me really interested in adding lactose to the other half of the batch. And yes, there is definitely something with this "women and chocolate" combination ;)
Regards, Slurk

tom_hampton said:
But, it does not taste like milk or cream.  It gives the beer a luscious silky mouthfeel, and (as I said above) a hint of sweetness.

Pretty much what I meant when I said it contributes creaminess.  I could have been more specific to say I was talking about mouthfeel rather than taste but yes this is exactly what I meant.  And I hope I didn't confuse people into thinking of using it as a primer.  I only use this on my Oatmeal Stout recipe but I love what it does.

Back