• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottling: Why is the process of carbonation going faster in smaller bottles?

Slurk

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Just curiosity.

In the past I bottled my beers in 500ml bottles. For 3 batches ago, I started to use not only 500ml bottles but also 330ml ones. In these batches I noticed that the process of carbonation in the smaller bottles was much faster than in the larger ones. After bottling, the smaller bottles already showed much pressure after one week while the larger ones had just some pressure. This difference disappeared after 2-3 weeks. All conditions were the same (I use to add and mix my carbonation sugar to/in the whole batch of beer before bottling).

Is this just rule of nature or....? Anyone having the same experience? Any ideas/suggestions why and how?

Regards,
Slurk

Sorry, slurk.  I keg.  I haven't bottle primed in years.  I'd only be guessing.  But, I'd conjecture that it has something to do with the ratio of headspace to volume. 

Back