• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Thermometers

Beer_Tigger

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Let's talk about thermometers.  What do you use, and how?  Here's my problem.  Is use a probe thermometer similar to: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-630717/food-network-digital-thermometer.jsp

I put the probe in my kettle while heating up water for my mash with the temp alarm set so I know when its ready.  I use the timer for timing the mash.  I then put the probe in the kettle of wort to alert me to when the temp of the wort is approaching boiling so I don't get boil overs.  And finally I use it as the wort is cooled so I know when to pitch the yeast.

This process, for some unknown reason kills these thermometers.  In the past 2 years, I've gone thru about 8 of them, a couple different "brands" but you can tell they are manufactured the same way.

Does anyone have better luck or a better thermometer w/ alarms / timer?

I have the same thermometer from TruTemp..  It seems it DOES NOT like moisture..  Mine worked fine for dry heat oven roasting but as soon as I started using it to control temps where water/steam was involved, it goes wacky....  You definitely can't let the probe slip down into the liquid.  A couple of times after non-use 2-3 months it started working again, but this last time I think it's a goner..   
I think the steam/liquid gets up under the silicone protective sleeve into the probe.  I've called them a couple of time telling them they need to make a better seal.  They thanked me but I'm not holding my breath. 

I guess I will switch to a standard insta-read digital without the timer/alarm.

After getting frustrated with low quality thermometers, I decided I might as well get me a decent one and I bought a
"Therma K Plus " thermocouple type unit.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/therma_k-plus.html

Not cheap, but I think it is a case of getting what you pay for.  It is a very rugged unit meant for commercial use - I also bought a silicon boot to protect it further

It is supposed to be accurate to about a half a degree and can use a wide variety of plug in probes - hand held ones and wires.

Each unit is individually calibrated and is provided with a calibration certificate.  I think they are made in the UK.

I have had it about since last Spring and am extremely happy with it - I have a couple of hand held probes and two 10' long wire sensors that I drop into my mash tun and hot liquor tank.  They just plug into the unit.  I would certainly buy it again

Brian

PS - it has also turned out to be the best BBQ thermometer I have ever owned (Used that to justify the purchase to SWMBO).

I use a ThermoWorks Thermapen best move I made in buying equipment. I had a cheaper Probe style with 3' lead and had suspected issues with it when I got the thermapen I was right four degrees difference between them.

texasdan said:
It seems it DOES NOT like moisture.. 

That must be the problem.  Many times its accidentally fallen into liquid.  I guess I'll be a lot more careful.

I have had the same problem with moisture getting in the probe type devices. I did a google search and found this one General MDP300PP. Don't know what the accuracy is but it's submersible and good to 300 F.

you could time how long it takes to reach those temperatures.

If it takes 20 minutes to go from 50.0F to 175.0F for 5 gallons then how much longer does 7 gallons take? This time should remain fairly consistent from batch to batch as well as cool down times.

and then set a separate timer nearby, not necessarily part of a temperature probe.  Beersmith could probably guess your heating/cooling times after a few calibrations and put that into the timer if the feature were added.

I also use the ThermaPen. It is about as fast as you can get.

I also just got THIS one in the mail for $3 shipped from China, as a backup.

I use this:

http://www.don.com/catalog/productdetail.aspx?calling=7&catType=1&resume=%2fcatalog%2fproductdetail.aspx%3fcalling%3d7%26catType%3d1%26resume%3d%252fCatalog%252fproductdetail.aspx%253fcalling%253d3%2526catType%253d1%2526cat%253dKitchen%252bSupplies_10%2526child%253dThermometers_100806%2526resume%253d%25252fsearch%25252fsearchresults.aspx%25253fSection%25253d%252526SubSection%25253d%252526SearchKey%25253dthermometer%2526prodid%253dK5480%26prodid%3dK5462&prodid=K5480

Its waterproof, very accurate, and responds to temp within 2 seconds. 

I check it in ice water and boiling before every brew.  Always within 1F at both points every time. 

What I like about the kitchen ones that don't like too much moisture is that they have a timer as well as a temperature alarm to let you know when your mash/strike water is getting close.

I've got a metal analog number that came with a turkey fryer that I've never used.
Like the insta-read I keep in the kitchen, but twelve inches long.
I can poke it around the mash to see if there are hot or cold spots that deserve a good stir.

Works great.

Back