• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fist Multi Rest Mash

bw447

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Next week I'm going to try my first multi rest mash.  I use a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler to mash in.  I'm going to be making a Hefeweizen (6 lbs Wheat, 5lbs Pils, 1lbs Oats) and have a question on the different steps.  I can only do a 2 step mash.  Initial infusion and then a little later add hot water to bump it up to the sach rest. 

My question is I've been told by different people that I should do the protein rest (120-131F) at the initial infusion and then raise to sach.  Others have said to do a sach rest and then mash out.

Which would be the best bet?

Thanks for the help in advance!

My question doesn't answer any of yours, :), but why oats in a hefeweizen?  I don't believe I have seen that before.

If it helps I don't believe most modified malts need a protein rest any more.

I would not put oats in a Hefe.  With >=50% Wheat your head retention will be phenomenal....think whipped cream.  The body contributed by the beta glucans from the oats wouldn't be appropriate either.  They contribute very little if any flavor. 

I would not bother with a step mash on a Hefe, UNLESS I were going to do a decoction. 

Back