Author Topic: B.S. water profile tool  (Read 3643 times)

Offline markok

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
B.S. water profile tool
« on: November 22, 2012, 08:21:41 AM »
Does anyone have a suggestion how to select the target water profile in B.S. ? I understand the water chemistry will differ for a Stout vs. a Blond. Is it better too just research the ion additives for a certain SRM (John Palmers method) and then determine what additives to make based on my local water supply or choose a target city in B.S. that closely fits the desired style? I have looked at EZ water and it looks helpful as well. Any suggestions? The majority of our water comes from rain collection which makes the water soft and low in ions.

Offline grathan

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: B.S. water profile tool
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »
The water profile is just rough estimates of the water used in those regions. That doesn't mean that the breweries there aren't making changes to those profiles when they brew.

Offline markok

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 03:18:49 PM »
Thanks

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 01:18:32 PM »
EZ Water uses the same math as Palmer's sheet, but seems visually cleaner and easier to use for some. 

I usually just get the calcium and magnesium up to the recommended ranges, and then tweak the Chloride:Sulfate ratio to fit the style, and then lastly, adjust the RA of the mash to suit the SRM/roasted grains I'm using.

I too have very low-mineral water and have to add some of every mineral on every brew.

KernelCrush

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 01:32:26 PM »
Another good water sheet

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

And off topic a draft balance calculator I wish I found when I was young