• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

B.S. water profile tool

markok

Apprentice
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion how to select the target water profile in B.S. ? I understand the water chemistry will differ for a Stout vs. a Blond. Is it better too just research the ion additives for a certain SRM (John Palmers method) and then determine what additives to make based on my local water supply or choose a target city in B.S. that closely fits the desired style? I have looked at EZ water and it looks helpful as well. Any suggestions? The majority of our water comes from rain collection which makes the water soft and low in ions.

The water profile is just rough estimates of the water used in those regions. That doesn't mean that the breweries there aren't making changes to those profiles when they brew.

EZ Water uses the same math as Palmer's sheet, but seems visually cleaner and easier to use for some. 

I usually just get the calcium and magnesium up to the recommended ranges, and then tweak the Chloride:Sulfate ratio to fit the style, and then lastly, adjust the RA of the mash to suit the SRM/roasted grains I'm using.

I too have very low-mineral water and have to add some of every mineral on every brew.

Back