• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Please help me get my new hobby started!

cwiley90

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a recent college graduate and am looking for a hobby to fill some of my spare time.  I have always enjoyed trying new beers, especially good microbrews, and with a degree in biochemistry I think I would love the art and chemistry involved in brewing a beer that I can share and enjoy myself.  After doing a little research, I at least know that the home brew "kits" don't seem to be the way to go.  I want to buy my tools/supplies separately.  Can anyone give me some advice or maybe a sample shopping list of what I will need to purchase to get my new hobby off the ground?  Also, where is the best place to get fresh ingredients?  I would like to make a an IPA first since that is my favorite.  The hoppier the better!  Also, has anyone had success with growing their own ingredients at home?  I am interested in doing this as well as maybe even culturing my own yeast.  As I said earlier, I have a pretty strong background in biochemistry and lab techniques so if I could "hunt" and grow up a unique yeast culture that would be really cool.  Thanks!

-Chris

Buy "how to brew"  by John palmer. Best money you will spend.

I did not have a bio chem background when I started, so I became a quick study of the need to sanitize. Funny you should mention that you want to purchase your equipment separately. I saw a father and his son in the brew supply store yesterday and they got overwhelmed with what they needed to start the hobby. They left the store without buying anything. Midwest Supplies have excellent equipment starter kits that are reasonably priced. Tom's recommendation to buy the John Palmer "How to Brew" book is a good one. I think the best way to determine what you need to begin the hobby is to think about the sequential process of brewing... yeast starter, mash/sparge, wort extraction/boiling/hop additions, wort cooling, yeast addition/fermentation, bottling/kegging. As for ingredients, I started by ripping off recipe ideas from listings of ingredients described in kits. I have since purchased BeerSmith software (well worth the expense). I would also recommend that you have your water tested. Crappy water = lousy beer. There are ways to filter and chemically enhance tap water to assure an economical, yet essential foundation for your time and effort. Best wishes!

Definitely start with a book or two. Plan to go the all-grain route. It may appear intimidating on paper, but in practice it's pretty easy. Also, don't skimp when it comes time to buy a brew kettle.

There is a wealth of knowledge on the web if you are trying to just get started. Your best bet is to read as much as you can then talk to your local brew store, most are very helpful.

cwiley90 said:
if I could "hunt" and grow up a unique yeast culture that would be really cool.  Thanks!

-Chris

Just curious, how exactly would one go about "yeast hunting". It would be kinda cool to have a unique yeast

gtreloquence said:
cwiley90 said:
if I could "hunt" and grow up a unique yeast culture that would be really cool.  Thanks!

-Chris

Just curious, how exactly would one go about "yeast hunting". It would be kinda cool to have a unique yeast

Read_yeast_, by Chris white and jamil zainasheff.  Lots of work with plates, a microscope, and test batches.

I actually have that book in my wishlist on amazon. Didn't realize it went that in depth on the subject. I'll check it out.

It is THE reference for all things yeast/fermentation related. It includes an in depth section on making a yeast lab at home, and how to use that lab to do things like isolate cultures. But, it is VERY practical in its presentation, avoiding the more esoteric corners of microbiology. 

I've been brewing for almost 13 years. I'm the reading type. But, I only own 5 books on homebrewing, total. This is one of the 5.

Back