• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Problem With Keg Pressures

ottman

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello All!  I went into my garage this morning and found that one of my kegs in my refridgerator was leaking out the draught line.  I then noticed that the pressure in the keg had risen to about 20PSI!  I am not sure how, since the line to the keg was shut off.  The only difference I can come up with is that it is getting colder outside, but nothing is frozen?  Could the temperature be affecting the kegged beer that much??  I hate to see my homebrew flowing across my garage floor!!!

You have my sympathy. I lost a keg of decoction-mashed Munich Helles that way. Very discouraging.

If the gas line is still connected to your CO2 bottle, the regulator could have gone stupid. I've never seen it happen, but that doesn't mean much. Could the beer still be fermenting - I had a Belgian Saison pretend to be finished fermenting, only to take off again and create the fizziest beer I've ever seen? It could also be an infection. Does it taste sour, funky, or otherwise bad? If the keg isn't connected to your CO2 bottle, yeast of bacteria could certainly increase your pressure.

durrettd, I think the problem is with the regulator.  After disconnecting the CO2 line to the keg, the pressure was fine, and the pressure gauge associated with the disconnected line showed a very slow increase in pressure over time, so there must be a slow leak with that regulator.  The beer that is left in that keg still tastes fine....whats left of it!

I would suggest a new regulator, or get a rebuild kit from a local welding shop.

Back