• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe Ingredients DO NOT update upon database change

lindenboy

New Forum Member
Reaction score
So one would think that if you change an ingredient in the database, that each recipe using that ingredient would also update automatically. 

For example, we are using BS2.0 as a kit recipe resource for our home brew supply shop.  If certain hops have price changes, I need to be able to change this in the HOPS list and have it update to ALL kits which utilize those hops.  I have changed items in the main ingredient databases, but they WILL NOT update into the recipe files.  We have 200+ recipes in three varieities of brewing styles, so to have to go through all of them and always "substitute" the existing hop for the revised hop is a major PIA.

Any comments about this behavior would be appreciated.

BS "help" says I am using the newest version.  I run Windows XP.  And all of our recipes have recently been updated and completely re-created in BS2.0 software (thus it's not an import issue from an .xml file or anything -- we spent countless hours transferring everything over from converted Promash recipes, subbing every ingredient and adjusting all quantities to match up to original specs as best as possible).

Thanks in advance.

Jason Burk | Co-founder
Tuxedo Park Brewers Supply
http://www.tuxedoparkbrewers.com/

No,
  Every recipe has a complete copy of its ingredients and equipment.

If I changed all recipes every time an ingredient or profile was updated it would create some serious problems.  Imagine brewing with a hop at 5% alpha this season that then was bought with 6% the next season.  Even worse imagine adding some new stuff to your equipment profile, and all of your old equipment profiles in old recipes would be changed.

Finally, imagine downloading a recipe from the internet and have it automatically get updated to your ingredients (not the authors) changing all of the numbers....it would not be good.

Perhaps a command to update certain recipes would make sense (or certain ingredients), but I don't think a blanket system that updated everything all the time would really work.

Brad

Back