• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Where do differing Est OG calculations come from?

PortlandBrewpubs

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm new to BeerSmith and somewhat new to homebrew in general.  I've got a recipe that I had from a different software that I put into BeerSmith, with (what I assume) are the same specifications for ingredients and the two different reports have different Estimated Original Gravity by quite a bit.
Other Software Est OG 1.079
BeerSmith Est OG 1.093
which seems quite a bit different from what I would expect to be somewhat similar.  Any suggestions? Is this something to do with my profiles somewhere?

It is vital to define your equipment setup and brewhouse efficiency.  At this point the defaults are probably skewing the estimated values quite a bit form the source recipe.  Of course, you will need to know what the source estimates are based on as well.  If not, you will need to learn what your system produces and will learn how to adjust other recipes that are added to Beersmith.

Back