• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Specific heat problems

pcdiver

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have tried to change the specific heat setting to adjust for my tun.  If I enter .2 it goes to Pyrex.  If .4, it goes to "other".  WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

You are not necessarily doing anything wrong.  The labels are just a convinient way to enter the data.  It is the number that matters.  The program only stores the number (not the label like Pyrex) and then does a match when you bring it up again.  That is why you see "Pyrex" come up when you enter 0.2.

It is not a perfect system - I should probably change it to save the label as well as the number, but it is the specific hear number that matters so if you adjust it to your personal equipment settings you should be in good shape.

Cheers!
Brad

Hi, what if my mash tun is a plastic cooler with copper tubing as the false bottom ?

Do I need to weigh the copper tubing and the plastic mash tun seperatly and
then calculate what is the final mash tun specific heat (I don't know how to do that) ?

Hi,
  I would probably start with the values for plastic as the copper tubing conducts heat very well relative to plastic and probably will not throw your numbers off much at all.  Then brew a batch and if your strike temps come in a bit low, simply adjust the number up for the next batch (or down if the temperature comes in a bit high).

Brad

Back