• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Expanding functionality of "Untitled"

cmbrougham

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Got to thinking about something that would be a sweet feature, as I was copying some recipes I found on the Web. These recipes are merely text on an HTML page, not BSM files or anything else, for that matter. What would be cool is if I could select that text in my browser, copy it, and then paste it into the "Untitled" folder, or file, or whatever that thing is. It could function almost like Notepad in Windows, beyond what it normally does in BeerSmith. If it could be tabbed, that would be even better. Then, after copying and pasting a recipe into BeerSmith's "Untitled" thing, a recipe could be built, as you usually would, from there. Don't know if this is possible, but would greatly increase functionality of the "Untitled" thing.

Don't know if you saw this in the FAQ - you probably did based on your comments.

http://www.beersmith.com/what_is_untitled_entry_for.htm

I was starting work on some XML import and export facilities, but I suppose plain text would be useful as well.  Except for the obvious problems matching text against real ingredients (which is hard in some cases), it is probably very possible to build a recipe from a text listing.  

Cheers!
Brad

Well, it doesn't even need to do "translation", of text file gibberish into a useable recipe :D That would be coolio, but that's not really what I was thinking of. Basically, just straight cut-and-paste... a place to dump text tidbits, and have a reference inside the program when building a bona fide recipe in BeerSmith. Clear as mud? I'm not talking about importing a file and converting; just having a place inside BeerSmith that I can reference for ingredient information from a recipe pulled off the web.

Hopefully that makes sense!

So you just want a simple "Notes" type function -- perhaps in a separate pane so you can use it while entering a recipe?

Brad

Yep, that's basically it! Just someplace--a pane, as you suggest, would be fantastic--that I can dump plain text into, and then be able to see it as I construct a recipe in the BeerSmith native format. Basically, this would just save having to jump back and forth repeatedly between BeerSmith and a browser window, text document, or whatever.

Hope that explains it  ;D

Back