• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How long to boil

Scottie

Apprentice
Reaction score
The first few brews were 90mins mash and 90mins boil, I do a two stage infusion if its a wheat or lager recipe, last brew was a wheat beer which stated a 60min boil.
Bit confused now is there any benefit of a 90min boil if so what is it?

Scottie.

I do a 90 minute boil when using pilsen due to DMS for all beers except my hefe.  You can also use it if your volume is too high, want wort more carmelized, barley wines and other high gravity beers.

I mostly do pale ale and bitters at present I have only been brewing for around six months I understand what you are saying, means more experiance needed!.

thanks for your help :)

Depending on the style, I boil for 60 min on average. For the my rauchbier (smoke beer) and strawberry blonde ale I boil for 90 min, this is to develop the melonoidins that give the beers their distinct flavor. This does add to carmalization but not to an extensive degree.

I think having started with a 90min boil and getting good results, feels like I may lose something should I reduce to 60mins, if you made the same brew twice say a cream ale once with a 60min and then with 90 what difference could there be.

Bucknut`s answer is one of the important things, another is Melliard´s reaction (I`not sure about the spelling) This is a chemical reaction that gives a tan colour to things exposed to heat for some time (breakfast toasts included) it isn't noticeable in brown or dark beers but in is important in very clear beers. My kolsch, goldens, etc I boil them 60 min. The rest in general 9o. About DMS if the boiling is strong enough it shouldn't  be a problem.

Back