• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Almost non existant OG?!

jgrody

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just pitched my yeast in my Saison, and with a 9lb grain bill in 5 gallons, i got a 1.002 OG...... I did my mash in at 150 and held it for 1 hour, sparged at 150 holding for 30 minutes, and did a 1 hour boil. It tastes as malty as i was hoping, maybe a little watered down, but the sweetness is still there. I have never had this issue before. I was aiming for 1.044

I only have one, and i have been useing it for 2 years now never with an issue, the sample started at 75, then i checked it at 70, and 65. always the same, the wort is fermenting like crazy today though, so maybe i shouldent worry so much.

Forget my last comment. I need to learn how to read.

I've had low gravity readings when I took a sample after topping off to got to my target volume. The fresh water floats on the sugary water without a good stir, giving a low reading.

I have a 15g brew kettle so i dont top off any more, but its been fermenting rapidly for the past 12 hours so lets hope it keeps up for the next week or so and i get a nice 5%er

interested to here how it came out . Please post your ABV when done .
maybe the 30 minute mash was not long enough to extract all the sugar? I am no expert in this but I use 60 minutes all the time .

Back