• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch size

RussellMarc

Apprentice
Reaction score
Does anyone know the batch size that the Northern Brewer all-grain kits are formulated for? I'm defining batch size as being the amount of wort going into the fermenter.

I called the company and got conflicting information from different customer service people. One person said that it's 5 gallons, another said that it's 5.5 gallons.

I just started all grain brewing and my OG, ABV, and depth of flavor have all been a little weak.

I'm still tweaking my overall process as I learn, but seems like a simple water miscalculation explains some of my issues.

Thanks!

I was working with 5.5 into the fermenter...sounds like it should have been just 5. I think that was at least part of my issue.

Two other challenges have been:

1-I'm mashing in a 10 gallon Megapot, with a false bottom. The space underneath holds about 2 gallons, so I added that to my 1.3 quarts/lb of grain. Was that too much? Creating too thin a mash? Should I drop it to 1 gallon?

2-I'm having difficulty knowing when I'm at the right mash temp, and keeping that temperature consistent throughout the mash/lauter tun. I have a Brewmometer connected to the Megapot and I also have a digital probe thermometer. I found the temp difference between the Brewmometer and the digital probe, testing in different spots in the mash, to be surprisingly high. Also once or twice after stirring, my temp went up 9 or 10 degrees. I guess heat builds up under the false bottom and gets released when I stir. Maybe I just have to stir more frequently...and also raise the temp of my mash a little more gently. Make sense? Is there anything else to keep in mind here??

Back