• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Estimated FG or Alcohol fails at 146F and 160F

ccfoo242

Apprentice
Reaction score
Estimated FG or alcohol looks fine as long as mash temps are in the range of 147F and 159F. Anything outside of that and the numbers don't make sense.

This is using one of the built in mash profiles for like Single Infusion, Batch sparge.

Hi,
  In the range you describe the program does apply a mash temperature correction factor (actually in advanced options) to estimate the FG.  Outside that range the factor is not applied, and FG is estimated from just the average yeast attenuation.

The reason for the limited range is simple.  I only had a limited amount of FG data for the mash correction, and once we get too low or too high, the alpha/beta enzymes are not as active, so the mash correction factor is not accurate.  Also when we get too low or too high, we're probably not in a mash conversion step in any case.  So I had to set some reasonable limit to identify the conversion step (particularly for multi-step mashes) so I went with the range that most people use for conversion of sugars (and also the range I had experimental data for).

Brad

Back