• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Rice Hulls in Extract?

gtreloquence

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been looking through a clone brew publication and a lot of the extract recipes call for rice hulls. My understanding is that rice hulls are used in the mash tun in an all grain batch to help prevent a stuck sparge so i'm trying to figure out how an extract batch would benefit by these.

Can you give me an example?  I would like to see what they are suggesting and maybe look for other recipe anomalies.

Thanks.

Oh, I have never used rice hulls.  Depends on your lautering process.  I believe my home made manifold and Gott cooler are working in harmony.

jomebrew said:
Can you give me an example?  I would like to see what they are suggesting and maybe look for other recipe anomalies.

Thanks.

Oh, I have never used rice hulls.  Depends on your lautering process.  I believe my home made manifold and Gott cooler are working in harmony.

The book is Clone Brews Recipes for 200 commercial beers by story publishing. They're called for in a few recipes but the the one I first noticed it in is Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout.
It starts off by saying crush and steep
8oz crystal 60
7 oz german dark munich
7 oz american chocolate
3oz roasted barley
8oz flaked barley
4 oz flaked wheat
2oz rice hulls

strain and sparge, everyone else would call it rinsing in the case of steeping but they call it a sparge in the book.

Then it goes on to add all the malt extract and hops.

The only other thing I would question is the flaked ingredients. I believe they need to be mashed

I guess it could be that they aren't using a grain bag and are straining it, but with such a small amount of grain I can't imagine the rice hulls being necessary.

Back