• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BS2 - Lost everything

danielsan

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I said let's share the same directory in two computers, it's gonna be cool I said.

Went to my MacBook > files > change directory and selected the directory in use in my Mini (for some reason my logic works like that, I was trying to tell to BeerSmith: "hey, this is your new directory now, just load this files, you don't have to delete anything").

(Some warning message > Accept)

Voila, lost everything.

I assume my internal logic maybe is not the common logic, and I accept the warning message was there saying something. But please, in the future you could review how this command works. I've read the forums and I see the damage is done and there's no way to recover my files, especially when my backup drive died.

Sorry to hear about your loss. This makes me wonder though. IS there a certain folder that you can copy to make a backup of beersmith files?

Hi,
  Sorry for your loss.

The program does pretty clearly say that the "files in your new directory will be deleted" and ask you to confirm before proceeding.  It copies from your old directory to the new one.

Brad

I know it was my fault, no complains, just posting this in suggestions. Maybe the program could change directories merging data or something but not overwriting.

Thanx for your reply.

grathan said:
Sorry to hear about your loss. This makes me wonder though. IS there a certain folder that you can copy to make a backup of beersmith files?

Yes, the BeerSmith folder containing everything. But I don't feel as the right person to give you advice  ;)

This is the dialog that appears when changing Document Directory (on Windows):

Code:
---------------------------
BeerSmith2
Changing directories will require you to close and restart BeerSmith.
The contents of your old data director 'C:\Users\UserName\Documents/BeerSmith2' will 
not be deleted, but the files in your new directory will be overwritten.  Continue?
Yes   No   

I think it would help the user more if:

1. The dialog above will explicitly say that all existing BeerSmith documents will be copied into the new folder. There's no need to start from scratch, no need to move anything manually, and nothing gets deleted from the original folder (none of this was obvious to me)
-and-
2. The program will refuse to change to a new Document Directory which is not empty. This would prevent any surprises later on.

Thanks!

Back