• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need Help Deciphering Batch Sparge Instructions

CharlesinAtl

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am fairly new to AG and new to BeerSmith. I have tried searching for this answer but I can't figure out how to interpret BS2's batch sparging instructions.

I understand that checking the box "drain mash tun before sparging", puts BS2 into batch sparge "mode". I used "Single infusion, medium body, batch sparge" profile with a few changes for my cooler size.

From Brad's blog last week. "The most popular is a two stage batch sparge with equal size batches (equal amount of wort drawn off, not equal amount of sparge water added). " I clicked the box to "use equal batch sizes"  based on this.

In preparing the attached Doppelbock recipe, the sparge instructions are "Batch Sparge with 2 steps (Drain Mash tun,  ,3.44gal) of 168.0 water. " The two commas are in the instructions if that matters. I attach the recipe file below and a screen shot.

I don't think this means adding 2 x 3.44 gallons of run off to my first runnings (in a 5.5 gallon batch) . If it means taking 3.44 gallons of wort total, how much water do I add before each rinse? Or is this 3.44 gallons for each rinse and then I am supposed to stop running off when I reach my pre-boil volume. Or am a just missing something  basic?

Many thanks for setting me straight,  Charles

Attachments

• SShot.jpg
    SShot.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 442
  • CRB Doppel Test.bsmx
    15.7 KB · Views: 195
The way I understand it is that BS will calculate what you need in your kettle for your pre-boil volume, so it should calculate how much wort you will draw off your first runnings (draining the mash tun), and then add the appropriate amount of water to sparge to make up the difference to hit your pre-boil volume. What you wrote means that draining your mash tun and then sparging once will give you that volume. The "drain mash tun, ,3.44 gal" with the empty space means that there is only one sparge step after draining the tun.  I'm guessing that sparging two 1.74 gallon is little water to sparge with?  Or perhaps there is another check box involved? IIRC there is a check box that says to sparge using batches that fill xx.x% of the tun.

Back