• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottle conditioning in ceramic top flip top growlers.

Reaction score
I know not to bottle condition in a screw top growler. Too many articles advising against it. Some said they had better luck with the ceramic top flip top growlers. Have a nice one from Victory Brewing with an aluminium handle, same as other brewers use, I would like to use but only if it is safe. Do not want to depend on luck.

Seems a lot of people use Grolsch and EZ Cap bottles. Everyone can't be kegging so figure some are safely bottle conditioning with the Grolsch and EZ Cap bottles.

Any thoughts?

I've had good luck with them.  I actually had better luck with them when I had an over-carbonated beer.  Heavy beer bottled way too soon.  The capped ones shoot like a rocket or champagne when oppened, the flip tops must let the overpressure escape.  They open with just the right amount of carbonation.

When you buy your bottles, you may want to pick up an equal number of replacement gaskets.  They go bad eventually and you will lose your carbonation.

The main question is have people successfully conditioned beer in flip top growlers? The comment about Grolsch bottles was just to say many people bottle condition reliably with the 16 oz flip top bottles.

Am giving away the 1/2 gal screw top growlers as there are too many comments on exploding ones.  Just need to know about conditioning in the 1/2 gal flip top growlers with the ceramic tops. Have heard the less expensive plastic flip tops are not as well made and the glass might be thinner, leading to exploding bottles.

I would imagine it works, but have never tried it.  They make for expensive bottles, unless you already have an excess supply of growlers.  I guess it all depends on your batch size.  I would just save my used longnecks.  Crown caps are cheap.  half gallon flip tops you wont usually fit too many in a kitchen frig without laying them on their side and mopping up the leaks.

When I bottle it's usually a mix of 12oz, 16oz (Grolsh), and various bomber bottles.  The nice thing about using sizes bigger than 12oz that is that there are fewer bottles to clean and cap.  Just make sure you have a glass that can handle the full pour.  The downside of the Grolsh flip-tops is that the gaskets eventually wear out.  By eventually I mean they can last for a few years.

I would hold onto a couple screw top growlers in case you transition to kegs and want to fill one off the tap to take somewhere.

As far as the flip-top growlers go, I don't know. If I remember correctly they appear to be pretty robust glass, unlike the cheapo screw top ones. I'd probably take a chance on one and bottle the rest. That's the only way to know for sure. I'd put it in a box or something with a towel just in case.

I assume you plan to pour it into a pitcher or something since, like conditioned bottles, it will have sediment.

In the past I have used the Grolsch flip tops without any problems.
During all these years I only had one case where I unfortunately strongly overcarbonated the batch. Only a few bottles exploded. Probably the bottles have (on purpose) their weakest point in the bottom because they all blow out the bottom. Since I was storing the bottles in the original Grolsch beer crates it fortunately caused no injuries.
Regards,
Slurk

Back