• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

SN recipes in this months BYO mag/SRM low

bucknut

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I've posted this in the recipe forum but have yet to receive a reply. So I thought I'd try here.

Any one plug these into BS yet? I'm getting very low SRM's in BS when I try and add these recipes. Anyone noticed this or is it me  :-\

I just put in the A.G. and extract recipe from the mag. A.G. Srm came out to 7.4 and extract 7.1. So they were a little low compared to what the mag has listed but still within the style guideline. You could always hit the adjust color button on the top and set the srm to 10 as listed in the mag. I only did this for the pale ale though. What number were you coming up with?

I just tried putting in the grain amounts in kg, and here's what I got:

Celebration Ale - 12/ BS 9.5
Pale Ale - 10/ BS 10.9
Ruthless Rye - 16/ BS 12.5

That help nail the pale ale SRM, but still low on the other two. The only solution I guess is to add more of the caramel, really don't want to use a darker malt if I can help. Just weird that BS and the BYO recipes are closer, or is this normal  :-\

I just threw together the other two in B.S. and my numbers were even lower than what you came out with. For the celebration, I was able to use the adjust color button without changing any of the malts, not the case for the ruthless rye. I tried swapping the c40 for c60, didn't make much of a difference but I found if you hit the "increase amount" button once while you have the chocolate malt selected, it'll put just about 16 and you can adjust from there. You'll end up using 4 oz more of the chocolate, which i guess in you're case is about .11Kg

Yea, I've been trying different things too. Afraid adding that much more of the chocolate would change the flavor too much. I think I'm just going to bump up the chocolate and caramel equally together until I get close. It's strange that the pale ale was dead on when I put the grain amounts in as kg weights? I think I'm going to brew it next.

Back