• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Commercial vs Aftermarket growlers

Reaction score
OK, the consensus is don't condition in screw top growlers BUT some swear by them. Wondering if the difference is using an aftermarket screw top growler made to temporarily transport conditioned beer from a keg vs the screw top growlers you can off the shelf filled with your favorite commercial brew. These bottles look as thick as a commercial 12 oz bottle. Will try to compare aftermarket growlers with the commercial growlers I have. Any thoughts?

I'm still wondering why you want to condition in that size of a container.

You're going to have sediment which means you can't transport it then consume it without waiting hours or days for the stuff to settle. When you do pour it out it will have to be one long pour into a pitcher, with one wrong move potentially contaminating a half gallon with sediment.

On the other hand you have fewer containers to sanitize and fill. 

I dunno. I don't see the point.

Point well taken. Had not thought of sediment that much, but then I ferment with a primary, siphon to a secondary and use Irish Moss. As a result I get very little sediment.

I bottle condition in a small fridge set up to regulate the temp at 68 F. It holds about 50 - 12 oz bottles or 35 - 16 oz bottles. I usually have a few bottles that wont fit so just condition those at room temp. Have the equipment to brew 7 gallons but the fridge will not hold all of it. 7 gal is 896 oz. The fridge will hold 50 - 12 oz bottles. leaving 24 out, 35 - 16 oz bottles, leaving 21 out or 40 - 22 oz bottles, maybe only leaving 5 out. After thinking about it more clearly I am going to try the 22 oz bottles. Most all will fit in the fridge, 22 ounces is enough for one person to drink and enough to share with a friend. Besides, my wife is not going to want a 64 oz growler in the household fridge anyway. Anyone who is married knows this to be true, If your wife is happy, you're happy.

I don't think there is an issue with the growler itself. If anything I would think it is the lid that will leak. If you want to use a growler or 1/2 gallon container, use a swing top like a Grolsch type bottle.  I often will fill these bottles when transferring to secondary to get a preview of the final product if I can't wait on a particular brew. I haven't had any issues with the carbonation so far. Unless you are force carbing, there is always some yeast fall out from priming sugars. The bigger the bottle, the more fallout you will have, I don't see a way around that, so that issue will always be there no matter what type growler you use. If you like to drink a growler in a sitting or in a day, that's cool. It will make bottling day a lot easier.  :)

Good Luck and happy brewing

MCB

After thinking about it more clearly I am going to try the 22 oz bottles.

When I bottled I mixed it up with whatever I had on hand.  I'd just grab bottles and add up the ounces.

I've been doing kegs for a while, and the initial investment really is worth only having one thing to clean instead of forty every single time you brew a batch.

If your wife is happy, you're happy.

Aye aye! Especially when you don't ask for her help cleaning bottles now that you put it in a keg!  ;)

Have to agree - kegs are the way to go.  Spend a bit of money upfront and you will quickly realize what a pain bottling is.  Not only that - there is nothing like pouring yourself a pint of homebrew on tap whenever you want it!  :D

Back